Recent Posts

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Crab Apple Cinnamon Bread


Is it just me or is fall coming way too fast? It's like someone turned the "fall" switch on. Anyways, Steve and I have two, count it TWO crab apple trees in our backyard. Don't get me wrong, I love crab apples, but when they start to fall off the trees, it ends up being a big rotting apple mess, especially with two trees side-by-side. YUM.

So last week, Steve and I were out there picking the apples off the tree in bucket loads. We took so many and yet, it didn't even look like we made a difference... So as you can guess, my job was to "do something with all the apples" we picked. I  was clearly all over that job! What could I bake..or rather what couldn't I bake? So many choices, but the thing is, Mr. Do Something - doesn't like eating "warm apples", so anything I made was for OTHER PEOPLE. It's not like I was going to sit down with a full batch of apple crisp all for myself. Or was I...

Luckily for my co-workers, they were first prize winners of Getting to Eat the Shit I Make out of Crab Apples. I decided on making apple cinnamon bread, and what a good choice - they loved it!


Ingredients

Bread
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon(or more if you really like cinnamon...I do!
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Dash of nutmeg(optional)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce (I made my own because I definitely didn't have it on hand, recipe below - however you could probably use shredded zucchini to help make the bread moist as well)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups chopped apples, skin removed

Quick Applesauce
5-6 crab apples, pealed and chopped
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar

Bread Topping
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions for Quick Applesauce
1. Peel and cut up your apples into chunks.
2. In a medium saucepan place apples and water on the stove on medium-low and let it simmer for about 40 minutes, or until apples become mushy.

3. Add cinnamon and brown sugar, mix until fully combine. Set aside.

Directions for the Bread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 4 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.

Peel and cup up your apples into small chunks.


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all spice, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.


In another medium bowl using an electric mixer - mix the eggs and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add in oil, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Next, add the sugars and mix until fully combined.


Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until flour is just combined. Gently fold in your apple chunks. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.


In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon.


Sprinkle over the batter in the loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.


Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment